Friday, April 4, 2014

Week 11 Work

This week I continued a piece from last week, revisited the larger painting, did some new dye paintings, and started a completely new painting.

This princess is very, very close to being done, there is just one area by her feet that still needs to be "embroidered."  I'm not sure if I will do any more of these (maybe small ones, since I have fabric for more characters), but I felt the need to finish this one just because I had started it.



 Similarly, I also felt that I desperately needed to spend just a little bit of time on the large painting I started a couple of weeks in because I really want to finish it, and I felt bad about neglecting it for a month.



I did two more dye paintings in the new style of last week's, painting them vertically with drips and using bleach spray.  This first one is a combination of homemade parsley alcohol dye and synthetic dyes; the second is all synthetic.  One thing I did differently for the second one was to paint the details of her face before filling in her skin colour, which definitely helped preserve the detail a little bit better.  I tried to vary the colour palette a bit more.  The blue spot that was visible only during the process of the painting from last week definitely influenced my decision to add a lot of blue to both of these.  I like the earthier tones I've been using for these over the bright primaries of the first few dye paintings.




I also started a new oil painting.  This is the first man I've painted or drawn all semester.  My plan for this painting is to tell the story of the colour gamboge.  Gamboge is a resin from a few species of Garcinia trees that grow in the Cambodia-Thailand-Vietnam area, and is named, in French, after Cambodia.  It's kind of amazing because when it's used as a refined pigment, it's an extremely bright yellow, but the resin itself is a very dark mustardy brown.  More about the story itself in my inspiration post, but basically, I have ordered some gamboge (it just got here today!) and will incorporate it into this painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment