Sunday, April 27, 2014

Artist Statement

My work is influenced by anthropology, science, and history, and focuses around origins. I have a constant urge to understand the world, and to communicate this knowledge, which is influenced largely by my early life. My father encouraged inquisitiveness and worldliness, and my mother encouraged creativity and expression. The research I do is fundamental to my work, and many times is the search for a story. The stories I uncover about the materials or processes I choose often become the basis of a piece.  My current work reflects research of folk art, cultural textile art, and the geographical, chemical, and geological origin of colour.  Folk art, ritual and tradition possess narrative qualities that appeal to me. I also enjoy telling my own stories and am interested in how a portrait can convey the story of a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment