Thursday, March 13, 2014

Week 8 Work

As the paint had finally dried completely, I was able this week to finish the space princess character with cloth embroidery.  Although clothing her was a long and painstaking process, I'm quite happy with the result and am definitely interesting in doing more of this kind of work. 



I also bought some plain fabric, as I figured I would need it for something while taking the next logical steps in my sort of progression of methods for making art.  I'm not sure why I'm stuck on textiles, but right now for me it only really makes sense to work with fabrics or fabric patterns.  I did try something totally new this week, though, within this broad field of textile art, which was using fabric dye to paint directly onto fabric.  I think this was a wonderful exercise for me because it forced me to give up some control and not worry about the details too much.  While I did use a paint brush to apply concentrated dye to specific areas, it spreads how it wants to and fades when it dries, and the results are unpredictable.  That being said, I would also like to do a lot more of this technique, maybe even reproduce the same image several times and try different things in order to understand how to gain more control over it.



And here's an in progress photo, as it changed significantly as it dried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment