Friday, March 28, 2014

Week 10 Inspiration & Research

This week's work was very much in the same vein as what I worked on over spring break, except for the gourd.  Most of my research and inspiration this week was dealing with content and motifs used in traditional Peruvian gourd decorating.

Source unknown; the zig zag ring around the top of the gourd is a common motif which I too used in my design.



The imagery on most gourds is either of nature or depicts Peruvian village life and celebrations.
The shapes of the frames at the top of the gourd inspired the arched frames in my own design.
The designs on the gourd's surface are usually burnt in or carved and then coloured with charcoal, but some gourds are made with a wider array of values through the use of wood stains and white enamel or carving.  I'm not sure if I will take mine this far, but it's certainly quite stunning.

While I didn't take my figure this week to quite the extremes often portrayed in sylized fashion illustrations, I did allow myself to elongate the figure rather than portray her realisitically like I usually strive to do.  



No comments:

Post a Comment