Friday, January 31, 2014

Week 2 Inspiration & Research

I took this photograph in Scotland in 2008.  This was my main reference for the thistle print.
I normally don't colour in this slightly offset way, leaving parts of a drawing unfilled, or painting with very loose, impressionist strokes, but I wanted to do something light and loose for the thistle, something that compromised the thistle's harsh, thorny exterior with a very feminine, decorative aesthetic.
And since the reading made me think of it and it was then brought up in class, I suppose this painting is constantly inspiring me.  You can even see the similarities between the colour palette in this painting and the colours I've been using in my prints.  Indeed, the colours in this painting are one of the reasons I was attracted to it for my master copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment