Thursday, February 6, 2014

Week 3 Inspiration & Research

So this week I am painting.  My main inspiration was totally random. I was reading Art & Fear for class during week 2 and a fully formed picture popped into my head, that was so beautiful and compelling that I decided it was something I wanted to paint.  Thomas Sailot, and mentioning that he was also a source of inspiration while responding to the questions about the book, may have also had something to do with it, because the colours in this composition I see in my head are colours he uses frequently (one of the main reasons I am drawn to his work, so this makes perfect sense).
Most of what's here are now references, little pieces that I am putting together into this image.

MOOD REFERENCES



POSING / COMPOSITION REFERENCES

(most of these are stock that I took pieces from to make a frankenstein figure as a reference in the pose I actually wanted, since I could not find the pose anywhere online -__-  Some of these are references for elements other than the figure [like the table, chairs, and lights])

I used her upper body and side of face (flipped the other way) though I had to actually move her over and trace her head separately so she wasn't leaning awkwardly, because my figure is sitting up straight.
I used her mid-body and shoulder, because she's sitting nice and straight and is turned slightly away from the viewer like my figure.
I used her legs.  I think it's instinct, or maybe more comfortable, for most women to cross the other leg? Most examples I could find were backwards.  Interestingly, I still had a major proportion problem with the legs though.
I used this image for the table.
I even got a reference for lights, and this image also prompted me to consider having the walls in the painting made of brick. 






No comments:

Post a Comment